Daily Practice: Basic Program of Natural Skin Care (August 18, 2005)
Have at Hand
- Clean washcloth with medium-coarse texture.
- Clean face towel.
- Cleansing oil made of pure, unrefined almond oil and, optionally, up to 1% essential oil of lemon.
- Toner made of 4 oz. hydrosol—orange flower water is fine—and 2 teaspoons pure raw honey.
- Nourishing oil made of pure, unrefined vegetable oils and, optionally, up to 1% essential oils. Jojoba oil is nice for young skins. Almond oil is nice when traveling because you only need one oil. Coconut oil is my recent favorite. Blends of oils (like pumpkin oil, walnut oil, and shea butter) are nice. You may prefer a lighter oil in the summer and a heavier oil in the winter.
Cleanse with cleansing oil and water, tone with cold water and hydrosol, nourish with nourishing oil.
1. Remove heavy makeup and eye makeup with a little cleansing oil on your fingertips. Blot with soft tissue, 3-ply tissue is great.
2. Run about a quart of medium-hot water in the sink basin.
3. Saturate washcloth in the hot water, wring dry. Press against face for 60 seconds to soften the skin. If cloth cools during this time, reheat with the water.
4. Pour about one teaspoon of cleansing oil into the palm of your hand, slide palms together to distribute the oil, then rub gently on face for 1–2 minutes.
5. Blot skin with soft tissues to remove the oil.
6. Run enough cold water into the sink to cool the water there to just warm. Immerse washcloth, rub wet washcloth on skin, repeat to rinse the skin for 1–2 minutes.
7. Splash face with fresh warm water to complete rinsing.
8. Splash face with pure cold water to tone it. Dry face with face towel.
9. Apply toner on a cotton pad, wiping gently.
10. Apply 2–4 drops of the nourishing oil to face, spreading evenly with your fingertips. If, after 15 minutes, your skin looks or feels oily, you can remove the excess oil by blotting with a soft tissue.
Cleanse with honey water, tone with cold water, nourish with nourishing oil.
1. Run about a quart of medium-hot water in the sink basin. Add 1 teaspoon pure, raw honey. Stir to dissolve the honey.
2. Immerse washcloth in the honey water. Wring dry. Press to face for 60 seconds to soften the skin.
3. Reimmerse washcloth in honey water, scrub face with wet washcloth for 1–2 minutes.
4. Splash honey water onto face for 1 minute.
5. Splash face with pure cold water to tone it. Dry face with face towel.
6. Apply 2–4 drops of the nourishing oil to face, spreading evenly with your fingertips.